- Published Date
- Written by Nhlakanipho Hlongwane
- Hits: 1141
Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife would like to alert all affected parties that, in accordance with the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of flora and fauna (CITES), all Breeders of Appendix I animal species (Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates) must register with the Provincial CITES management authority, namely Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife by the end of September 2016 in order to be able to continue trading with such species.
This registration is applicable to any person captive breeding Appendix I specimens who:
- Captive breeds them and exports them internationally
- Captive breeds them and exports them inter provincially
- Captive breeds them and sells them to traders who export them internationally
- Captive breeds them and sells them to traders who export them inter provincially.
The complete list of CITES Appendix I species can be obtained by accessing the following website – http://checklist.cites.org
- Once in the site click on “start exploring”, then type in the name in the “search” block.
- You can either search via the common name or scientific name, however, the scientific name is preferred in the search bar provided. This will then filter the options available.
- Click on the filtered option to view the necessary information.
- The appendix listing is located in the column two.
- The complete list of Appendix I species can also be down listed from the site.
Please note that it is currently only Appendix I animal species captive breeders or traders who currently conduct activities with these species that need to register.
It is imperative that any prospective applicant access the website to ensure that they are indeed a breeder or trader of CITES Appendix I specimens and not Appendix II or Appendix III. Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife cannot accept applications from breeders or traders if they are not currently breeding and/or dealing in Appendix I species.
If you possess live specimens of an Appendix I species but do not breed with them, or trade internationally or provincially with the species the registration is not applicable to you.
No export of any specimens listed in CITES Appendix I will be permitted after 30 September 2016 if the relevant registration certificate is not obtained and submitted together with the export application. This is applicable whether you are the breeder/exporter or the trader/exporter.
Traders who export CITES Appendix I specimens internationally must ensure that they buy from registered breeders after 30 September or no export permit will be issued. The information of the breeders will be required with every export application.
For further information on this press release please contact
Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife
Tel: +27 (0)33 845 1743
Cell: +27 (0)83 284 9586