Frequently Asked Questions



Q: If I sell my property, will the restrictions stipulated in the contract apply to the new owner?
A: Yes, the same restrictions will apply.


Q: Will I have to remove existing infrastructure if my property becomes a nature reserve?
A: No, all existing infrastructure may remain.


Q: Will EKZNW have unlimited access to my property if it becomes a nature reserve?
A: No, but terms and conditions regarding access can be negotiated within the agreement.


Q: Will the general public have unlimited access to my property if it becomes a nature reserve?
A: No, you as the landowner determine the specific rules and access by the general public that you require.


Q: Can I be assured that EKZNW can support the terms of the contract agreement in the future?
A: Yes, EKZNW as party to the contract is legally obliged to honour the agreement.


Q: Who will bear the legal costs for drawing up a stewardship agreement?
A: This will be negotiated, but where possible, EKZNW will facilitate reduced costs.


Q: What will the consequences be if I choose to terminate the co-operation agreement?
A: You will be liable for the total cost of EKZNW’s management interventions up to the date of termination.


Q: Is a conservation area applicable to an individual property, a collectively managed/multi-landowner area (e.g. conservancy), or both?
A: Both. It can apply to a single property or a group of properties, like a conservancy


Q: What do basic extension services include?
A: General advice, support and assistance, as well as input into the drafting of management plans.


Q: Will the declaration of my property prevent a land claims?
A: No, in terms of the Restitution of Land Rights Act 22 of 1994, should an area be under a claim it may not be proclaimed as a protected area until such claim has been resolved. The existence of land claim needs, therefore, to be verified with the Land Claims Commissioner.


Q: Can I graze cattle in a protected area?
A: Yes you may, as long as the stocking rate is determined for conservation purposes (as apposed to commercial stocking rates), using grazing as a grassland management tool.

Q: Can I declare a portion of my property as a protected area?
A: Yes, the stewardship mechanism allows an entire cadastre or a portion of a cadastre to be declared a protected area.