- Published Date
- Written by JayWay
- Hits: 45484
- Mkhuze Game Reserve is situated in Northern Zululand, roughly 335 km from Durban. The reserve was established on 15 February 1912 and is 40 000 ha in extent. Today it forms part of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
What To Do On Arrival
- Overnight visitors are requested to check in at the Reception office at Mantuma Camp. Visitors may take up their accommodation from 14:00 and check out time is 10:00. All visitors must pay an entrance fee at the gate.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve. No firewood may be collected in the reserve. The water is chlorinated and filtered for human consumption but is very salty. Mineral/spring water is on sale at the camp curio shop and Rhino-Dine-O takeaway. Basic food stuffs and a variety of curio items are on sale at the curio shop. It is advisable to bring binoculars, a first aid kit, a torch, insect repellent, a hat and sun-tan lotion. Unleaded petrol and diesel are on sale at the Camp. Visitors are urged to take precautions against malaria before, during and after a visit to the reserve.
- Mosquito nets are provided in each accommodation unit. Gate entry times: Summer (1 October - 31 March) 05:00 - 19:00, Winter (1 April - 30 September) 06:00 - 18:00. These times are strictly enforced. The accommodation complexes are either not fenced or do not have a totally game proof fence surrounding them. Please do not walk beyond the vicinity of your own chalet or campsite after sunset unless it is essential to do so. Office hours are from 08:00 - 16:30 daily. Sundays and Public Holidays are 08:00 - 16:00 daily.
- The hides are being renovated at uMkhuze and will not be available for game viewing until further notice. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
How To Get There
- From the south, the turn-off to the Mkhuze Game Reserve is signposted 35 km north of Hluhluwe.
- From this point, the road is gravel.
- Approximately 15 km further turn right onto another signposted road through the Lebombo mountains.
- The entrance is 10 km along this road and the route is clearly signposted.
- Visitors from the north should take the road through Mkuze Village, which is 18 km from the entrance gate and 28 km from Mantuma camp.
- This road is well signposted.