- Published Date
- Written by JayWay
- Hits: 19245
- One of Phongolo Nature Reserve’s primary attractions is the popular sport of fishing, with an increasing number of visitors drawn here to pit their skills against the legendary tiger fish.
- The reserve was originally proclaimed by Paul Kruger to prohibit hunting in the area, as there were concerns that the game populations were being decimated through uncontrolled hunting.
- A large percentage of the area originally proclaimed, is now under water since the construction of the Phongolopoort Dam, which is the fourth largest dam in the South Africa.
- The reserve is 10 485 ha in extent
What To Do On Arrival
- An entrance fee is payable at the gate, unless you are the holder of a rhino card.
- Camping fees are paid on arrival at reception or at the gate between 08:00 and 16:30 daily.
How To Get There
- The reserve can be reached from the N2 between Pongola and Mkhuze. Take the Golela turn-off to Swaziland for 10 kms. At Golela take the road turning right and follow this road to the main entrance gate.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve.
- It is advisable to bring binoculars, a first aid kit, a torch, insect repellent, a hat and suntan lotion.
- No firewood may be collected in the reserve.
- Visitors are urged to take precautions against malaria before, during and after a visit.
- Visitor facilities including accommodation are not fenced. Please exercise caution.
- Please do not walk beyond the vicinity of your own campsite after sunset unless it is essential.
- Gate entry times: Summer (1 October - 31 March) 05:00 - 19:00 Winter (1 April - 30 September) 06:00 - 18:00 These times are strictly enforced.
- The closest shops and petrol station are in the town of Phongola, which is about 43 km from the camp, so it is important to arrive with all the necessary provisions.
- Petrol can also be obtained from Swaziland, with passports being required to enter this country.
- A concreted launch site is available at the camping ground.
How To Get There
- The reserve can be reached from the N2 between Pongola and Mkuze.
- Take the Golela turn-off to Swaziland for 10 kms.
- At Golela take the road turning right and follow this road to the main entrance gate.
- 31d54'21.99"E 27d20'30.1"S