- Published Date
- Written by JayWay
- Hits: 17184
- Maphelane is situated on the south bank of the Mfolozi river mouth. It is the southernmost camp in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
What To Do On Arrival
- All visitors who have booked accommodation, including camping and caravan sites, must please check-in at reception on arrival.
- The final 50 km of road to Maphelane between the N2 and the resort has a sand surface and will take time to negotiate.
- Visitors must ensure enough time to arrive at the resort before the gates close.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve.
- Gate entry times:
- Openning from 6am - 18pm .
- On Friday evenings and evenings prior to long weekends or provincial school holidays, visitors with bookings may enter the reserve up to 21:00. Please consult a General Practitioner regarding antimalaria precautions. 035 590 1407
- A speed limit of 20 km/h is strictly enforced, except where lower speeds are applicable.
- Littering is an offence. Visitors swim in the sea at their own risk. Swimming or wading in the Mfolozi river is not permitted, due to the presence of crocodiles.
- Visitors are not permitted to use their own generators.
- There are no fuel or power points at the campsites.
- Plug points for freezer facilities are available for hire, book direct with Maphelane.
- Electricity is supplied by gener
How To Get There
- Maphelane is 50 km off the Empangeni-Mtubatuba road, opposite the Kwambonambi turn off.
- The road is narrow, very sandy in places and not recommended for cars with limited road clearance.
- Due to the limitations of the new road, traffic is restricted to the following:
- Vehicles not exceeding 1 ton;
- Boats not exceeding 5,79 metres (19 feet);
- Caravans of single axle class only and only if towed by a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
- 32d25'21.62"E 28d24'22.36"S