- Published Date
- Written by JayWay
- Hits: 22937
- Maphelane is situated on the south bank of the Mfolozi river mouth. It is the southernmost camp in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
What To Do On Arrival
- All visitors who have booked accommodation, including camping and caravan sites, must please check-in at reception on arrival.
- The final 50 km of road to Maphelane between the N2 and the resort has a sand surface and will take time to negotiate.
- Visitors must ensure enough time to arrive at the resort before the gates close.
- No pets are permitted in the reserve, no matter how big, small or blind!
- Gate entry times: Open from 6am - 18pm.
- On Friday evenings and evenings prior to long weekends or provincial school holidays, visitors with bookings may enter the reserve up to 21:00. Please consult a General Practitioner regarding antimalaria precautions. 035 590 1407
- A speed limit of 20 km/h is strictly enforced, except where lower speeds are applicable.
- Littering is an offence. Visitors swim in the sea at their own risk. Swimming or wading in the Mfolozi river is not permitted, due to the presence of crocodiles.
- Visitors are not permitted to use their own generators.
- There are no fuel or power points at the campsites.
- Plug points for freezer facilities are available for hire, book direct with Maphelane.
- Electricity is supplied by a generator. Please note that the generator runs between 05h30 to 22h30 daily, and until 23h00 on Fridays only.
- All visitors must provide themselves with drinking water. This is due to the fact that while the water is now clear from an improved borehole, the salt content is still very high rendering it unfit for potable water. It is however suitable for showering and brushing of teeth etc.
- There is a small curio shop with limited supplies. Guests are requested to ensure that bread, eggs, butter etc are brought with them prior to arrival.
How To Get There
- Maphelane is 50 km off the Empangeni-Mtubatuba road, opposite the Kwambonambi turn off.
- The road is narrow, very sandy in places and not recommended for cars with limited road clearance.
- Due to the limitations of the new road, traffic is restricted to the following:
- Vehicles not exceeding 1 ton;
- Boats not exceeding 5,79 metres (19 feet);
- Caravans of single axle class only and only if towed by a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
- 32d25'21.62"E 28d24'22.36"S